During the last half of the 19th century, it became apparent that there was a gradual diminishing of certain natural resources which man had been consuming without regard to the future. This aroused the interest of a group of Maryland men, who, on May 8, 1874, at a meeting in Lehman's Hall in Baltimore, decided to form a Club to be known as 'The Maryland Association for the Protection and Preservation of Fish & Game'.
Clippings from "The Baltimore American News", the oldest daily paper in the U.S. shows that on March 5, 1895, a meeting was held at The Carrollton Hotel to organize a Conservation Sportsman's Club.
The roster showed about 50 members and meetings were held at 'The Maryland Academy of Science'. Due to the similarity of purposes and the fact that membership was almost identical, it appears that this was a revival of the older Club.
The present Organization known as "The Maryland State Game & Fish Protective Association" does advocate the same conservation measures as the founders and, according to our history and available records; we claim our title as the oldest Conservation Club in the U.S.
Incorporated under the laws of the State of Maryland, the organization is funded by the dues of our members and various fund-raisers throughout the year. The Club owns and maintains 29 acres of land that was made available by the generosity of long-time members Mr. & Mrs. Samuel Pistorio, former owners and operators of "The Turf Valley Country Club".
Shortly thereafter, two ponds were constructed by the 'Harry Campbell Co.' and stocked with fish for the recreation and instruction of our members. At that time our meetings were held in a 16x16 army tent and various other locations. On August 25, 1963, ground was broken by Col. Wm. H. Triplett on what is now our Hall and Caretakers' Residence.
In September of 1983, a proposal was made by W. Rassmussen, on behalf of Baltimore County to purchase the 29 acres, which was readily refused by the members. However, we had to relinquish 3.5 acres which were in the Honeygo Flood Plan, and which is now part of The Honeygo Park. This leaves us with 25.5 acres for those who enjoy the preservation and beauty of the outdoors.
In March 2003, the organization was granted its IRS 501C3 status, declaring it to be a non-profit charitable organization. Over the years, the organization has been accessible to local Boy and Girl Scout Troops, White Marsh Civil Air Patrol, The Young Marines, Baltimore County Parks & Recreation, and Baltimore County Public Schools, to name a few, for their various conservation and education needs.
In May 2003, the organization joined The Maryland Environmental Trust, insuring that the remaining acres would be protected from future development.
The organization has helped in fund-raising projects supporting our Military Forces, i.e. Wounded Warrior Program. In addition, every year the organization collects non-perishable food items for our Harvest Baskets that we distribute to disadvantaged families in the area.
Presently, we are continuing in the footsteps of the founders of this great organization with our Youth and Family Archery education programs as well our new J.O.A.D. (Junior Olympic Archery Development) program. These ever growing programs help promote the sport of archery with family participation in the proper training, safety education and practical target shooting.